Exercise increased caution in Tajikistan due to terrorism.
Country Summary: In 2018, two U.S. citizens were killed in a terrorist attack in Danghara province. Terrorists may target various places, such as residential areas, clubs and restaurants, places of worship, hotels, schools, outdoor recreation events, and other venues, although Government of Tajikistan facilities remain the most likely target. Facilities catering to westerners in Tajikistan present a heightened risk. Avoid large crowds and public transportation to the extent possible. Tourists should avoid activities that develop predictable patterns of movement. If documenting your travel on social media, please ensure your privacy settings are appropriately set.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Tajikistan:
- Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Tajikistan.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist
Last Update: Reissued after periodic review with minor changes.